Computational processing of Portuguese
The project Computational Processing of Portuguese was the result of an initiative taken by the Portuguese Ministry of Science and Technology to boost the area of computational processing of the Portuguese language. The project is part of the Ministry's aim to grant native speakers of Portuguese easy access to the ever-increasing information society.
The project was conceived for planning the MCT intervention in the language engineering of Portuguese, and participated in the Whitebook for Science and Technology (our contribution) and in the public debates associated to it.
One of its tasks was the selection of longer-term initiatives in the area. We chose the launching of a distributed language resource center for Portuguese, Linguateca. The project started in May 1988 and turned into the Oslo node of Linguateca in 2002.
Our project was launched in May 1998, and one of its first goals was to help profiling the area for policy makers.
In this context, we have produced a document for discussion, and drafted a profile of the area of
computational processing of Portuguese, which were released for the first time in December 1998. Both were presented and discussed at an open meeting 17 April 1999 in Lisbon.
- The first version of our resource catalogue was put on the Web in July 1998.
- The publication list activity started in June 1999.
- The AC/DC project was launched in September 1999.
- The search engine BUSCA became operational in January 2000.
- The first parsed corpora of Portuguese on the Web were made available in February 2000.
- The protocol with Público (for CETEMPúblico) was signed in April 2000.
- The CETEMPúblico corpus version 1.0 was finished in July 2000 and began to be distributed worldwide in October 2000.
- Lauching the Portuguese treebank project in collaboration with the VISL project in Odense was accomplished in November 2000 and publicized in February 2001.
- The first version of COMPARA/DISPARA was publicized in January 2001.
Computational processing of Portuguese,
SINTEF Telecom and Informatics
Box 124 Blindern, N-0314 Oslo, Norway
Fax. +47 22 06 73 50
Last updated: 20 May 2003.
Send questions, comments and suggestions