Linguateca is a distributed language resource center for Portuguese, which was launched as a result of the project Computational Processing of Portuguese and inherited its mission while enlarging its aims.
Our mission is to raise the quality of Portuguese language processing, through the removal of difficulties for the researchers and developers involved. This is done by
- providing resources that enable sophisticated processing of Portuguese.
- monitoring and cataloguing the area
- organizing evaluation activities
The activities we have been conducting so far include
We also provide the following information services to the community interested in the processing of the Portuguese language:
- A large and updated Web catalogue of resources, actors, tools and publications related to the computational processing of Portuguese
- The AC/DC project (providing free access to large quantities of Portuguese parsed text in a uniform way), in collaboration with Eckhard Bick
- The CETEMPúblico corpus (creating and distributing a 180 million word corpus of newspaper text from the daily Portuguese newspaper Público)
- The COMPARA/DISPARA
project (whose goal is to provide free access to Portuguese parallel text aligned with other languages), in collaboration with Ana Frankenberg-Garcia
- The Floresta Sintá(c)tica project, building a treebank for Portuguese, also in collaboration with Eckhard Bick
- Organization of evaluation contests for Portuguese: Morfolimpíadas, CLEF, HAREM and Págico.
See our publications and public presentations to have an idea of our activity.
- A database on publications on the computational processing of Portuguese, SUPeRB
- A repository of papers, resources and tools
Since 2011 Linguateca has only computational support from FCCN, so all work is done voluntarily by the team.
Until 2009, Linguateca had the following nodes:
- Oslo, at SINTEF ICT
- Linguateca's initial node, after the Computational processing of Portuguese project (1998-2000). Responsible for the SINTEF node: Diana Santos and Luís Costa [activity started May 2000]
- Braga, at Departamento de Informática da Universidade do Minho
- Responsible for the DI/UM node: José João Dias de Almeida [activity started November 2000]
- Odense, through a collaboration with the VISL project
- Responsible for the VISL node: Eckhard Bick [activity started November 2000]
- Oporto, at Centro de Linguística da Universidade do Porto/FLUP
- Responsible for the CLUP node: Belinda Maia [activity started October 2002]
- Lisbon, through joint leadership of the COMPARA project
- Responsible: Ana Frankenberg-Garcia [activity started November 2002]
- Lisbon, at XLDB/LasiGE, Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Lisboa
- Responsible for the XLDB node: Mário Gaspar da Silva [activity started January 2004]
- Coimbra, at Faculdade de Ciências da Universidade de Coimbra
- Responsible for the FCUC node: Paulo Gomes [activity started July 2005]
[Linguateca publications | Access statistics (in Portuguese) | Linguateca team (in Portuguese)| Portuguese home page ]
Last updated 18 June 2018.
Send questions, comments and suggestions